have you ever known somebody so shitty they completely ruin that first name for you?
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light
Anonymous said: What is 50 shades of grey about? And what's so bad about it?
50 Shades of Grey was originally fanfiction based on the Twilight series, which was then published as a novel (along with 2 subsequent books). It sold over 100 million copies around the world and topped best-seller lists everywhere. It’s about to be adapted into a film, set to come out early next year.
It follows a college student named Ana Steele, who enters a relationship with a man named Christian Grey and is then introduced to a bastardised and abusive parody of BDSM culture.
While the book is paraded as erotica, the relationship between Ana and Christian is far from healthy. The core mantra of the BDSM community is “safe, sane and consensual”, and 50 Shades is anything but. None of the rules of BDSM practices (which are put in place to protect those involved) are actually upheld. Christian is controlling, manipulative, abusive, takes complete advantage of Ana, ignores safe-words, ignores consent, keeps her uneducated about the sexual practices they’re taking part in, and a multitude of other terrible things. Their relationship is completely sickening and unhealthy.
Basically, “the book is a glaring glamorisation of violence against women,” as Amy Bonomi so perfectly put it.
It’s terrible enough that a book like this has been absorbed by people worldwide. Now, we have a film that is expected to be a huge box-office success, and will likely convince countless more young women that it’s okay not to have any autonomy in a relationship, that a man is allowed to control them entirely. It will also show many young men that women are theirs to play with and dominate, thus contributing to antiquated patriarchal values and rape culture.
Boycott this fucking movie, for the love of god. These kinds of ideas are dangerous and set us back as a society
Things Christian Grey does that’s really gross from the top of my head *spoilers*
- Makes Anna get a birth control shot, so he doesn’t have to wear a condom even though he has 15 partners (BIRTH CONTROL DOES NOT PREVENT STDS HOW DOES A BOOK FOCUSED ON SEX GET THIS WRONG OMG)
- secretly buys the publishing company Anna was working for, without her knowledge
- constantly messages Anna and freaks out when she doesn’t answer
- When Ana wants to try being the dominate in BSDM with Christian, and he tells her he’s not comfortable with it. But the whole first book was on her being uncomfortable about bsdm and yet she was pretty much pressured into doing it and doesn’t enjoy it
- refers to his mom as “crackwhore”, he saw her get beaten by her pimp and watched her commit suicide.He looks for women that looks like his Mom to practice his BSDM on.